Monday, September 13, 2010

Memory Lane Monday (delayed)

Speaking of school memories...
here are Haven's beginning writings July 2008 <3

First Grade Memories... I'm trying to think of what comes to mind. I had a WONDERFUL teacher and a really GOOD year. Some of the things I remember most:

  • I remember taking old Ties from our dad's to make a "Turkey" and all of his feathers for a Thanksgiving bulletin board.
  • I remember having like 5th or 6th grade "reading friends" that would come once a week to read us books. My reading friend was Melissa, but all of her friends called her "Bud". LOL She made me a Christmas tree ornament (those like smelly cinnamon-y applesauce kind?) Well last I checked, it was still hanging on my Mom & Dad's Christmas tree! :)
  • My teacher's name was "Mrs. Nelson" so we always read the books "Miss Nelson is Missing" (among the other 2 or 3 in the 'series'. It was so COOL our "teacher" was in a book! :)
  • I remember a grandmother of a classmate came in every week for quite some time and worked with us to create oil paintings for our parents for Christmas. It was a covered bridge and snow and a log and trees. It was really beautiful... ours weren't QUITE so beautiful, however... my parents still have the one I painted them! I remember the coolest part of it was getting to pick out a kitty cat sticker to put on the log when we finished our picture! :)
  • I remember that we got to "write" our first "books". They were hard-covered books that the outsides had cool designs on them. They were all in black and white so we got to color the outside with sharpies AND write a story or stories to go inside! It was SO COOL!
  • I remember making a dainty angel out of pastas. I think this was Christmas gift material, too. It still hangs on MY Christmas tree to this day! :)
  • I was such a nerd. I wrote a whole presentation on trees because my parents sold Christmas trees at the time. It was NOT a school project... just something I did with my Mom for "fun"! LOL I presented it to my class. And then later I got called to the Principal's office.... for an Academic Award! LOL
  • Our Principal was named "Mrs. Hand"... my dad always called her "Mrs. Foot". She always wore noisy high heels and click clacked through the halls! She had big hair too! LOL
  • For Saint Patrick's day... the "leprechauns" visited our room. The classroom was TRASHED (which resulted in an all day clean up/tidy up!!! :))! All of our desks were tipped over and everything. There was a trail of green and gold glitter up and out the window! :)
  • I was a really good speller and always on the highest level of the class!
Yep I think those are the best memories I have of 1st grade! :) 

2 comments:

  1. You were a first grade over achiever! Heck, in 2nd grade I didn't even do my worksheets. *LOL*

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally forgot to mention in my second grade memories that Box Car Children were my life! Loved those books. Next week I will move on to my love of The Baby Sitters Club. lol

    ReplyDelete